This Site Will Be Together Shortly...

Pardon the inconvenience right now, but I am currently gathering information for this page.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Communication and Semantic Noise Distractions

716681ababyi71arYou know when you are talking to a friend, and someone in the background says something particularly offensive to the person you are talking to? That's semantic noise. Noise is anything that interrupts communication that is taking place. It's very negative, and impacts people in ways some don't even consider. An example: As a college student, I am very good at blocking out most types of noise, but the one type of noise I can't ignore is semantic noise. Even if I mingled with this noise one hour before I'm going to study, just thinking about what happened interferes with my interpersonal skills of sorting situations with my own mind. lol This is good information for those of you going to college too; All noise is bad for studying purposes. Noise is not necessarily actual audio; noise is anything that distracts you.

 


My best example involves somebody I never had a real friendship with. I tried to buy her friendship. Well, hello, you can't buy love, and you can't buy friends either! Silly me! Anyway, sometimes it's hard not to focus on things that make me angry at her, and if I don't get out of the negativity zone, can remain in a bad mood for days. Of course, I don't want to upset other people, so I keep it to myself, but the anger, just keeps growing, and although I won't allow it to affect my studies, I do know it's hard not to get rid of this person's semantic noise. She comes to my website to check up on what I am doing, just to try to use the information by twisting it into rubbish. Now, I am convinced I like this person so little I don't even want to hear anything about her. This is so nothing gets construed and perhaps if the discussion weren't allowed her semantic noise would get silenced. lol


If you have distractions during moments of concentration, or with interpersonal communication (talking to a buddy), your must eliminate the sources. If this involves a person, you must stop people who serve as channels for transmission of the interference. (Oh how I love this course as it is so simple, yet so obvious.) Noise of all types is transmitted through channels which have to be shut down to protect your privacy. Your alone time is important, and noise of any type interrupts this peaceful process.


Sometimes noise can be created internally, and this is usually because of something channeled to us through another. You must take a break, breathe in, focus on something that doesn't give you time to think about what caused the interference. If your television is channeling noise, shut it off. If your children break your concentration, select a private room, or dedicated area for studying.


I have to research more on this topic, but I can share what I have learned so far. A right brain thinker is more creative than the left brain process, but the left brain is best used for studying. It's pretty explainable that a right brained thinker would be likely to have problems in academic areas. The ideal person would use both sides of their brain, and we usually do mix and mingle from one side to the other, but one side is more dominating than the other. I will post the link to take these tests if you are interested to find out about your styles.


I am a dominant left brain thinker, as a matter of fact, I actually only scored one point to little to completely be using the left wing. lol Don’t be alarmed if your domination is right brained theory, because there are suggestions to help with educational performance. Oh, and although it may not fit in this category, I had another interesting tidbit of information. With some people, the information created from the right brain has become fearful of my psychology studies, due to whatever reason, and many left brain thinkers contemplate how I will negatively use my skills. To be honest, I've seen a lot of strange looks, and experienced some pretty cold conversations with these people, but I want others to know I am only enhancing what I already do, and on a spiritual level. I could care less about how the mind works with people who aren't asking for help.


Every time I talk to a customer, I tend to speak about communication. Communication is so important, and seemed so basic. That's until I discovered there are several different ways to communicate. These areas are based on what type of information is being channeled and what environment you are sitting in. If you are daydreaming in the living room, and sorting through thoughts, you are using intrapersonal communication. If you are in a comfortable environment, with low noise factors, and have one other person discussing something with you, it's interpersonal. If you take two to four people into a neutral setting, and discuss aspects of a business, you are using small group communication. If you are giving a speech for information, there is limited communication other than you using your channel to transmit information, and your audience is limited to responding through body language, such as clapping, or laughing.


There is intercultural communication involving global experience with individual, or unique cultures. You wouldn't want to go to your in-law’s house, enter, and let one bellow from your mouth, as it would be considered rude behavior, but you would want to burp after eating dinner with the Asians, as they view it as a compliment, and an insult if they don't hear you belch.

1 comment:

  1. Hello....
    Semantic noise is not offensive or negative noise. Actually, semantic noise is a linguistic influence- a type of disturbance that interferes with transmission of a message due to ambiguity in words, sentences or symbols used. For instance, slang, jargon, or specialty language, such as medical terminology- which most of the terms have no meaning to people outside the profession.

    The type of noise you are referring to is "Psychological noise," it's the same type of disturbance but it's a cognitive influence- as opposed to linguistic influence (like semantic).

    Sorry, I am a communications & media studies major- I came across this site doing some theory research...... I just had to let you know.

    ReplyDelete